Automation Engineer is responsible for a variety of engineering tasks in the field of process automation and SCADA. The engineer will successfully apply fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures to support engineering. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in engineering leadership as well as the ability to develop and implement standard engineering practices, as well as provide detailed documentation upon project completion. This person will be the project technical lead and may be responsible for some project management activities.
Analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to develop automation systems control configuration. Develop the functional specifications, coding strategy, logic, and control configuration structure. Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, and oversee all configuration and documentation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Complete engineering design, testing, and commissioning of facility instrumentation and control systems.
- Perform engineering tasks using established procedures, these include but are not limited to, equipment selection, schematic design, system layout, cost estimation and system documentation.
- Automation and SCADA project planning, scheduling and budgeting based upon project commissioning and start-up schedule.
- Develop and implement facility control and automation solutions based on cause and effect documentation, P&ID’s, control narrative and an understanding of the facility environment.
- Ensure accuracy and reliability of instrumentation, SCADA, control and safety systems.
- Generate system architecture and automation network drawings.
- System testing and troubleshooting of control programs
- Work closely with company personnel to optimize facility efficiency and reliability.
- Provide guidance and training assistance to employees.
Desirable Criteria & Qualifications
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Control Systems or Instrumentation.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in similar position required.
- Ability to read and understand schematic diagrams, P&ID prints, blue prints and control systems.
- Experience designing and programming control systems with emphasis on PLCs, SCADA or HMI systems.
- Experience in commissioning and startup of control systems is required.
- Ability to work with plant engineers, external vendors, operators, and management to manage projects and assignments is essential.
- Ability to troubleshoot control systems from the field element up through operator interfaces and databases.
- Experience with control system networking technologies and PC networking technology.
- Must have a working knowledge of a wide variety of software packages, operating systems, and equipment.
- Ability to effectively manage priorities while working with various types of people.
- Candidate will be a self-motivated and self-directed individual with good communications skills.
- Experience with HMI/SCADA packages such as: Ignition, iFix, Iconics, Rockwell RSView, or Wonderware.
- Experience with PLCs such as: Rockwell or Modicon.